Friday, March 14, 2008

There's value in Preparing Presentations

For the past week, I've been absolutely swamped with preparing a presentation on SAP Network Interface Security Controls. Although I find the subject quite exciting... it really isn't that exciting to other people. So that that was my challenge.... I admit, I played the Ninja role when it came down to it. Although I had approached developing the skills of managing SAProuter and developing SAP architectures with admirable Samurai prowess, developing the presentation was just a get in and get out exercise.
However, it was good for me. I started developing the presentation only last week knowing that I'd have to present in front of 100+ security professionals this past Wednesday. I was too busy with operational problems and investigations over the last 4 weeks... so the non critical things got the least priority. But with only 6 days to actually work, I pulled it off! I believe I did a good job too. I made a boring topic somewhat lively. The cool thing was that I was able to tie in the previous three presentations delivered at this security forum into my own. The audience seemed to appreciate this. Not only was the presentation well received, I hope that it will help me in my career. I hope to deliver another similar presentation at the RSA Conference in October.

Thus... all in all, developing the presentation itself was a valuable experience and delivering it was actually fun. I'll wait to see how it turns out from a career perspective though.

2 comments:

Sumari Hassan said...

I am going to try to figure out how to post the presentation I delivered on SAP Network Interface (SAP NI) Security

Sumari Hassan said...

Update... that presentation, and similar ones that followed did indeed help me shift careers. Before I was leading a 24x7 intrusion monitoring and incident response team. Although it was exciting work, it led to too many sleepless nights when the real battles could have been fought on the infrastructure side. Now I design security into the network from the beginning. Now I get to apply the samurai prowess to communications security engineering. :)